Mind/Body/Spirit

Welcome!

I am hoping this blog inspires a desire in you to be at your physical potential. Losing weight in 2013, and setting up a lifestyle that allows us to keep it that way! I want this blog to allow me to motivate and to be motivated!



Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Body/Spirit: Athlete's mentality-

What is an Athlete's mentality? I think this Jesse Owens quote sums it up-2 of 2 Two delightful girls smiling - Runners ...Image by mikebaird via Flickr
We all have dreams. But in order to make dreams come into reality, it takes an awful lot of determination, dedication, self-discipline, and effort. -Jesse Owens

Did you hear about Belgian runner Stefaan Engels who set a Guinness World Record after crossing the finish line of his 365th consecutive marathon?

That's right kids 365 days of running 26 miles every single day! This info is taken from an article that I read on CBS News.com which was published on 2-05-11.I am in awe of his athletic feat! Okay, and maybe his feet too- because can you imagine the punishment they endured? I believe that this is a definite mind over matter type of thing. He had to have what Jesse Owens was talking about in the above quote.




Stefaan has been dubbed the "Marathon Man", and I am really wondering how he did it.
Here is one thing he said about why he did it:
"After running 20 triathlons in one year, I was not ready to go back to normal life," he said. "I also wanted to inspire people by showing that if I could run a marathon a day for an entire year, that anyone could run or bike a little each day or do something about their weight problem."

WOW!The 49-year-old Engels ran a total of 9,569 miles.
 Well I for one love it, and I am totally inspired!
It takes the idea of what I thought was  possible for exercising the human body and blows it out of the water.


The human body can take so much more than we think it can!
(Even more amazing),
Stefaan was a child that grew up suffering with asthma and decided to overcome the ailment in his early adult years. He had the idea to run a marathon everyday for a year to promote physical activity. He wanted to share what determination could make possible-- but after the accomplishment he was quoted as saying "There were a lot of moments when I thought 'Today, I won't finish,"' he said. "One of the hardest moments was in Mexico City after a long flight, the altitude and I had gotten sick from eating something, and I thought 'What am I doing here?"'
 But he kept going and you know he wanted to stop!
We all have those moments where we are wanting to quit---- Stefaan did not quit and was so happy that he didn't. He didn't quit because he wanted so much to inspire YOU! If you are about to quit your healthy eating regime or work-out schedule; think about what is possible and keep on going, yes keep going on past that.  Stefaan has shown us that you can do even more than you thought possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment